Thursday, November 30, 2006

uSeS aNd gRaTiFiCaTiOn

Blumer and Katz expanded this theory in 1974, suggesting a series of possible reasons why audience members might consume a media text.

Diversion - Escape from everyday problems and routine.
Sometimes I use this point to escape from problems and routine using films such as "comedy films", which allows me to escape from problems that occur in the real world. These programmes make me feel that everything is perfect in the film because they are all enjoying each others company. Other films such as Batman shows me the wealth of some people, which allows me to aspire to their capabilities.

Personal Relationships - Using the media for emotional and other interaction, e.g. substituting soap operas for family life.
Soap operas sometimes exaggerate some stories within family problems, which in reality does not really occur. This point does not really apply to any of my situations.

Personal Identity - Constructing their own identity from characters in media texts, and learning behaviour and values.
On some occasions I may identify from characters in a specific text such as gangster's who have the money, girls and cars but then realise that this is acted and not real, which makes me emotional resulting into diversion.

Surveillance - Information gathering, e.g. educational programmes, weather reports, financial news, holiday bargins.
Sometimes I watch these programmes to keep up to date with the latest news and current affairs. I watch weather reports to see whether a picnic is a good idea the next morning. Also watching football highlights, which allows me to not only follow my favourite team but to keep up date to other news within the football world.

Denis McQuail suggests a more detailed breakdown of audience motivation:
"Denis McQuail is an academic and writer within the field of communications. He has written over a dozen books since 1968, mostly concerned with mass media. Best known is his contribution to the education of the public, concerning communication theory. His work has centered on explaining communication theories and their applications. He is adamant about informing the public on the benefits and dangers of mass communication."

Information
- Finding out about relevant events and conditions:
I mainly use, sky news and the interent, on BBC.co.uk to allow me keep up to dat with recent events and conditions.
- Seeking advice
I rarely use advice from TV, as it could be exaggreated, making you do wrong things, that may be bad in the long run.
- Satisfying curiosity and general interest
I like to find out about new things in the media. I use the interent mainly for this, looking for new songs. Sometimes also watching GMTV and other programmes to find out about celebrities, which is shown in a informal way.

Learning
- Self Education
I use Tv sometimes for self education, but mainly for entertainment. Using an example as ER, I am able to say that I learn the hustle and bustle of the hospital environment and the stress tht doctors and nurses face throughout the day.
- Confidence through gaining knowledge
When watching something, I don't watch a programme to educate me, but if watching "who wants to be a millionaire", gives u general knowledge, where you interact with the Tv, shouting and screaming answers if you know them.

Personal Identity
- Finding reinforcement for personal values
This doesn't apply to me, because the values they may give, could not apply to you and also could be incorrect information. I have been taught these by family and friends, which are more effective as they know you better.
- Identifying with "celebrities" - E.g. "Beckham"
I don't really identify with celebrities. If I had to choose a celebrity to admire it would be "Eva Longoria as she is a sexy human being, and perfect in every way.

Entertainment
- Escaping, or being diverted, from problems
I love listening to slow jams, which divert me from problems, or watching comedy programmes such as my wife and kids.
- Relaxing
I listen to music channels and watch sitcoms to relax as they help me unwind and entertain me.
- Filling Time
I watch Tv to fill time or go on the interent, if i have nothing better to do.
- Emotional release
Indian films are quite emotional, where its not stereotypical for boys to feel emotional, but the impact of the story in some films are quite upseting.
- Sexual arousal
Yes I use the media to entertain myself in this category. Every boy does!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home